[Gpdd] MISC : rescue questions

davedave121 at aol.com davedave121 at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 16:08:08 EDT 2008

Hi M
We live in Liverpool U K ,  not to warm not to cold,
But we still have a few winter months when the temperatures drop well
below freezing , and I would no sooner condemn one of our piggy’s to
live and sleep in those conditions , than I would myself.

Any serious piggy keeper knows that these fragile little animals do not
fare well in temperatures below 50 degrees F , and below 40 in the they
are suffering, and miserable, and the UK weather is to changeable ,
especially in winter. Warm one day freezing the next.

( quote from guinea lynx, and the same is said in every book I have
ever read.)

room with a stable temperature range between 65 and 75 degrees F (18 to
24 degrees C), out of direct sunlight, situated close to household
activities. The more your guinea pigs are part of your daily lives, the
happier you will both be.
Do not house your cavies outside: Temperature fluctuations can be very
hard on your guinea pigs. Predators sometimes break into cages. A
guinea pig inside will receive better care as you will catch health
problems more quickly. ) end quote .

As for the rescues, I would not trust a rescue that did not vet me
before handing over a pig, in fact there is one rescue we visit that
insists you Signe a form declaring that the animal is only on loan and
can be taken back at any time.

We have a duty of care to all animals, and=2
0the rescues you speak of are
only thinking of the welfare of the animals in there trust , it is not
in there best interest to make it unreasonably difficult , as they
would never be able to re home, but they must , as true animal lovers,
put the adoptee’s  needs first.

These little guys have in most cases had a hard life before reaching
the rescue , come on , this is there only  chance for a happy and
comfortable piggy life.

Dave of Dave & Yvonne of Piggy Palace UK.

PS ; I was just looking through some of the U S rescue sights , and on
most of them you need a letter from god to adopt a piggy,  good for
them, its like every thing in life , the harder it is to get the more
you look after it.