[Gpdd] {EMERGENCY} Piggie Foot Bleeding!

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 01:21:40 EDT 2008

Hi I didn't see any answers to your piggies problem, hopefully it has
resolved itself now. I wouldn't use alcohol as it hurts. Ii would wrap it in
gauze or make a little gauze pad and press it firmly for as long as the
piggie will let you get away with it, this should staunch the flow, and the
flow cleans the wound,  as their blood clots up pretty quickly. If it keeps
bleeding I would hold an ice cube to it, cold helps bleeding stop. I would
squirt a bit of Betadyne on it after the bleeding stops.   As for a bandage
nothing with plastic or cotton, just a bit of gauze as they will chew it off
and nothing too tight as you might stop the circulation.
I would very gently clean the wound a couple times a day with the Betadyne,
but don't disturb the scab. If its on the bottom of the foot, less often if
its on the top, keep the cage spotlessly clean till its healed, Maybe let
him rest on clean towels

If it doesn't heal right up or if it swells off to vet  And then I would
quit clipping calluses there is no need whatsoever, They build up to protect
that spot on the foot, after all they cant wear shoes, and if it is so bad
you feel it has to be clipped then go to a Vet
Sandy and Manny the Boar