[Gpdd] HEALTH Bumblefoot

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Sep 29 17:22:30 EDT 2008

Debbie,

The only piggy that I have had with Bumblefoot was a dear little girl from our local rescue some years ago. Her name was Snowflake and she arrived in a terrible condition. Both her front legs were terribly swollen with the infection that had spread up from her little feet. A long course of Marbocyl antibiotic, which you are using, reduced the infection and her legs began to look better again but I could never get rid of the Bumblefoot. She was only with us for a year as she also had respiratory problems but she was such a cheerful little soul. The Bumblefoot itself never seemed to bother her. I kept her on nice soft bedding and gave her all the best veggies.

I think that it was Kay who suggested keeping such piggies on bubble wrap covered with towels so that the piggies cannot chew the plastic, which would be dangerous. I believe that she said that the bubbly side should be underneath. I know that I kept her post at the time but can I find it??? Of course not.

My Richardson's book suggests cleaning with an antiseptic solution and applying a " topical antibiotic/corticosteroid cream" to the affected area. She also reports a successful treatment with antibiotics injected directly into the foot pad. I see that this is explained on GuineaLynx's pododermatitis page.  http://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

She further says that similar symptoms are seen as a consequence of a fungal infection and suggests treating with a "suitable fungicide e.g. enilconazole. Alternatively the foot can be treated with cream containing the anti-fungal agents tolnaftate and nystatin (Tinaderm M ) twice daily." This is probably similar to the Intrafungal treatment suggested by Chris at Cavies' Castle.

Sending our love and healing wheeks to Scrabble,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.