[Gpdd] Peter Gurney--Candle Lit

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 18:27:07 EDT 2009

Wheeeee are so sorry that we are so late at letting you know that we lit a
candle for our dear friend Peter Gurney on his birthday. Otto (our most
vocal guinea pig ever!) even sang a little song.

Wheee thought we had posted this already, but then realized that we hadn't
sent the email.

I (Nancy, Alyssa's mother) feel so honored that I was able to make rounds
with Peter and his piggies at the Great Ormond Street Hospital, and to also
visit his herd (including the freerange piggies) a few times at his home.
(Once he showed me the photos--of his piggies with London landmarks in the
background--that he was including in his latest book, and he seemed especially
pleased of the pic with the guinea pig with the guitar!)

He was a very complex man, indeed, and could display a fierce streak of
temper towards anyone whom he thought was not as thoughtful as he was towards
guinea pigs (I remember him raging about people who'd planned to come look at
piggies with an eye toward adoption, and then the people didn't bother to
show up), and he also fumed about the new health and welfare restrictions
that made it impossible for him to visit young patients at Great Ormond
anymore.

He was a devoted fan of Alyssa's movie, CARROT WARS, and was always asking
for more copies to share with the patients. (Of course, we always obliged.
You just didn't say "no" to Peter!!!)

I loved the little wooden wheelbarrow contraption that he wheeled the
piggies about in---he even took it on the Tube!!!! And he hummed and sang little
tunes to himself as he trundled the cart around the very institutional
setting of the hospital. (The best part of that hospital is the Peter Pan Cafe,
where Peter and I ate before setting forth on rounds, and the Activity/Play
Therapy room, which is amazing, and even includes a Sensory Tunnel. There's
also a nice Gift Shop--I think they used to stock Peter's books--and an
outdoor playground just before the entrance.)

Yes, he was an amazing character. And the candle-lighting each year is such
a fantastic way to honor someone whose light shown so bright. (It helps to
bring his spirit back into the world, although I think it always resides in
our hearts, and in the hearts of all those who care for small animals.)

Love and WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS,

Nancy & Alyssa & the guinea pig "movie stars"
http://www.carrotwars.com