[Gpdd] MISC- Midnight's news article

Jaime rzm.2 at juno.com
Thu Apr 9 20:39:10 EDT 2009

  I have to say I found that article very insensitive. I felt the need to e-mail the writer & tell her so. Here's what I wrote her:
Dear Ms. Fratti-
  Regarding your article "Mourning Midnight-for good reason", maybe you do need some sensitivity training. Guinea pigs are gentle, loving and affectionate animals and not just a "food source" or rodent. They will learn to "wheek" for treats when they hear the refrigerator door open or when their people come into the room. They like to cuddle and play with toys just like any other animal. The items he keeps on hand for them are crucial to a healthy diet for a guinea pig. Their bodies cannot produce their own vitamin c, and just like ours, must be supplemented with vitamin c in the diet. Also timothy hay is an essential to guinea pigs digestion and healthy teeth. Veterinary check-ups aren't just for dogs and cats anymore either! If they were mourning the loss of a dog or cat would that be more acceptable to you? An animals size or how common it is as a pet does not merit its worth. All life is precious and these guinea pigs could not ask for two better owners. Your article came off as sarcastic and mocking at best. I hope in the future you can show more compassion towards living creatures in your articles. Thank you.
  Maybe I was a little harsh, but I felt she needed to hear it. To me, it was a mockery. If anyone else would like to write her, here is her e-mail:kfratti at phillyburbs.com

~Jaime, Mimi & Daisy~
~Molly, Radar & Albert always in our hearts~
http://piggiepages001.blogspot.com/