[Gpdd] HEALTH: Pumpkin

Dee and Joe joedee1986 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 13 17:01:53 EDT 2009

Hi,

Joe and I took Pumpkin to the vet today as he was not moving around much, spending more time in the corner and draging his legs more.  The vet agreed that it was probably due to Pumpkin being a senior pig.  He said the arthritis was probably in his spine not in his hip joints and that is why he drags his legs, but doesn't seem to have pain in them.  He didn't do x-rays as they wouldn't have showed anything we didn't know and would only stress Pumpkin out.  His heart sounded good, his teeth and belly were okay, but he has some noise in his lungs.  We got Metacam for pain and an antibiotic in case he was getting an infection in his lungs.  The vet said when piggies get older and their immune system slows down they sometimes get infections.

We put Pumpkin on towels for now because the Carefresh/pine combo was bunching up under him when he drags his legs.  He is a big pee machine so lots of wash for me!  I told Joe he needs to make a cart for Pumpkin's back-end so he can get around better!  He is still doing what piggies do -eat, pee, poo and nap.  Now less eating and more napping.

Hopefully the meds will give us more time with him.  If not he will be more comfortable on his journey over the Bridge.  I will let you all know how he makes out.

Wishing all sick piggies get better and stop worrying your slaves!

Dee, Joe and the Patriot Piggs - Pumpkin and Peaches