[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Bert

luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 18 06:59:08 EDT 2009

First of all, I want to thank everyone for Bert's wonderful birthday
greetings and good wishes. I read each one to him, and he was especially
proud to think that everyone regularly celebrates a "Bert-day" (really, it
made him quite full of himself). And naturally I saved each birthday
greeting in Bert's special file.

He enjoyed good health for one month into his sixth year, and then
literally overnight, he got terribly sick. I tried everything, but finally
it was clear that he was suffering greatly and getting worse. Our
excellent veterinarian gave him an overdose of barbituates, and he slipped
peacefully away in my arms. I was such a mess afterwards. I have to admit
that I disappeared from the digest for a bit, because it was just too
painful, remembering all the lovely birthday greetings and missing my
little Bertlette so much. Please excuse my terribly late appreciation, but
let me assure you, Bert and I enjoyed each and every birthday wish.

Now Cinja is alone and awaiting another rescue pig companion. When Bert
was very sick, she lay down next to him - very unusual, and a clear sign
of concern and an attempt to comfort him. After Bert died she stopped
eating for a bit, but now is slowly perking up again, with the help of
syringe feeding. She comes from the rescue association
"Notmeerschweinchen" (Guinea Pigs in Need), which is where we will get our
next piggie family member.

Luita
and Cinja