[Gpdd] Health: Blossom update

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 07:26:54 EDT 2009

Hello everyone and everypig!  Well, we brought Blossom and her daughter, Baby Truffles, and our other female, Sparkles, to the vet and they all received their ivermectin shot (third shot for Blossom and Baby Truffles, and second one for Sparkles).  We asked the vet to 'digitally palpitate' Blossom to make sure she didn't have ovarian cysts.  He said he could feel something pea-sized and assumed it was her (healthy) ovary.  Blossom's hair has grown back on her sides, so the vet assumes she had mites and not an ovarian cyst problem.  He said that if she had ovarian cysts, then the hair wouldn't have grown back.  But then, he is quick to state that he doesn't know much about guinea pigs.  However, we've gotten concerned because the hair on her back has turned light orange!  We asked the vet about it and he was stumped.  He doubts it's a reaction to the ivermectin.  And we know she doesn't 'roll around' on her back.  Nor is there anything in her pen that
 could turn her white hairs orange (she's pure white).  She's nearly four years old.  Do you think this is something to be concerned about?  Or, what the cause could be?  Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Corrine and Blossom