[Gpdd] HEALTH Spunky

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Apr 27 18:02:28 EDT 2009

Birdie,

I am so sorry that Spunky has lost the use of his back legs. This happened to my dear old Rolo in his last year but he carried on munching right to the end. He had painkillers although I was never sure if he really needed them and I kept him on a square of VetBed over newspaper to keep him dry, changing the square and the paper as necessary.

John ( my husband ) visits a chiropractor for his back with excellent results and one visits the rescue centre where my son works to treat the horses. I know of dogs who have benefitted from this treatment so why not piggies? It has to be worth a try.

My Rodentologist recommends liquid Osteocare to help with conditions like this. My elderly Diamond is having this as well as her usual Potter's tablets as her arthritis has progressed. If you can buy it in the US the dose is 1ml. for 2/3 days followed by 0.5ml daily thereafter. Very safe for piggies ( and humans too ).

Personally, I would be very wary of neutering Spunky. I would never even consider it for a young piggy and certainly not an older one.

Wishing you all the best. Hugs for Spunky.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.