[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE Surprise new Piggyfriends

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Apr 28 12:38:58 EDT 2009

Some time ago, our Rodentologist, Chris, was asked if she could find a new home for two piggies who were to be rendered homeless due to a marriage breakdown. She asked me if I might be able to take them and, of course, I said that I would. I hoped that they would be sows as there is always room for a couple of girls to join a group.

We had heard no more about them and then they suddenly turned up at her house last week. She called me and I went to collect them. I just knew that they would turn out to be boars. Make no mistake, I love my boars but they would need their own accommodation rather than become part of a group.

By the time I reached her house, Chris had given them both a severe haircut to remove all of their mats, they had both had a health check, a shampoo and a manicure and looked much more presentable than when they had arrived.

One of them looks to be an Abby / Peruvian cross. He is the same colour as my dear departed Sam, although his patches are in different places but his face is mottled black and beige just like Sam. He arrived with the name Cabbage. I don't know if this is a derogatory term in other countries but I was not having a piggy called Cabbage. I know that our little friends are not the most intelligent creatures on the planet but " Cabbage ". Really!  He is reputedly 3 years old.

The other one is ginger and white. In England we call these Shelties - long hair that grows back from their faces so they can see where they are going - but I think that most of you know them as Silkies. This one had such a stupid name that Chris didn't even write it down and then forgot what it was anyway. He is said to be 18 months old.

They are dear little chaps, obviously well fed as the Abby cross is only an ounce off LAPS weight. His friend is a little lighter.

I was thinking about names for them on the way home and passed a turning to a road called Augustus Way. I thought that Augustus was a much more dignified name than Cabbage so please welcome Augustus G. Pig to the Piggyfriends group.

I often give pairs of piggies names that either go together or begin with the same initial so I decided upon Aubrey for the ginger boy for no other reason than that I like the name.

They have settled in well and eat everything that I put in front of them. Augustus is a real cuddle pig and likes to be petted. Aubrey is rather nervous and wants to be right next to his friend for safety.

I have put some pigtures of them on Photobucket so that you can see them. I had to take the pigtures indoors as it was raining again so, as usual, they appear to have red eyes due to the flash. Their eyes are really black and I will take some better pigtures when they can go outside.

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww201/Piggyfriends/?action=view&current=AubreyandAugustusGPig29409.jpg

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww201/Piggyfriends/?action=view&current=AugustusGPig1.jpg

Sorry Birdie. Just when you get the Roll Call up to date, there are more piggies to add.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.