[Gpdd] [HEALTH]<Sigh.. Yaya's OD>

Janneke guinygirl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 07:47:22 EDT 2009

He GPDD-ers,

Sorry, I need to vent my feelings again (about my satin pig yaya and her
bone disease. Please scroll down if you think..aaaw there she goes again ;-)
).

This morning my yaya looked really depressed. Her head in the food bowl,
with one of those really sad looks on her face. I picked her up and
immediately felt that her lymphe nodes in her eh.. paw pits were swollen
again. She also didnt like it when i made her support her own wheight with
her back paws (which i only did very briefly). To me this is a clear sign
that her OD is acting up again (OD = osteodystrophy a hereditary metabolic
disease that affects the bones and is common in satin pigs
http://www.oginet.com/Cavies/satin.htm ) When I put her down after that, she
also did the bunny hop, which is a sign that walking is painfull. So I fed
her some painkillers and think/hope that she'll be fine a few days.

Yaya is almost 4 years old right now. So that's pretty good considering that
we diagnosed her when she was only 1,5 yrs old. She isnt bothered by her OD
too much, usually feeding her painkillers for a week or so makes the
swelling of her lymph nodes (which is a sign of bone joint inflammation) go
away. The pain goes away faster, btw, she usually perks up in an hour or so.

So why am I writing, nothing has changed hasn't it? We'll just keep going
like this until she no longer bounces back and the pain becomes to much (I
dread that moment, but i dont want her to suffer). Pffff...I dont know... it
just depresses me a bit; seeing her like that (okay, am being a bit selfish
right now; my pain is nothing compared to hers). You should have seen her
this morning, it just breaks my heart.

Okay, thank you for listening, I feel a bit better now and yaya probably
will too (thanks to the painkillers)
Janneke and the winky team, yaya, suus and Igor

P.s. Igor tried to lick the painkiller out of yaya's mouth. He's taking the
whole rock and roll thing a bit too seriously I guess ;-)