[Gpdd] Misc: Pets At Home - G-Force

Julia Kennedy tabithaporter at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 10:48:07 EDT 2009

Hi There!

I'm a lurker, and usually only post when one of my friends crosses the Rainbow Bridge.  However, I thought you might be interested to see the response I got from Pets At Home (a UK pet supermarket) regarding my concerns over the sale of guinea pigs as a result of G-Force.  Would be interested in hearing any of your comments!

Julia, Emily, Bearlette, Autumn, Philomena and Will Turner

Thank you for your email in relation to your concerns regarding the new Disney movie G-Force and Pets at Home. We appreciate you letting us address your concerns further.

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that Pets at Home Ltd is not encouraging the sale of guinea pigs we are actually at cinemas promoting responsible pet ownership and distributing care leaflets as well as advising people to come to our guinea pig workshops being held throughout the summer holidays.

The idea of the workshops is to give children a chance to see the guinea pigs in real life and learn more about them from our store colleagues. The children and parents can then decide if they are the right pet for them and how to care for them responsibly.

As a National pet company we are acutely aware of the impact movies can have on customers particularly children from films such as Ratatouille and Bolt which is why we have decided to make sure people know guinea pigs do not come with night vision goggles or ride scooters but they do make great pets with the right care.

Following the launch of our charity Support Adoption for Pets (registered charity number 1104152) one of the schemes they introduced was the adoption centres located within many of our stores. The idea is to give small pets such as rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils and rats a second chance of happiness. The Charity also works closely with many animal organisations and re-homing centres with many receiving donations from the Charity.

Pets at Home Ltd have and always will put pets before profit and if our store colleagues have any concerns on the future welfare of the pet the sale will be refused.