[Gpdd] HEALTH Soft wheeking

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Aug 5 08:02:58 EDT 2009

Poor Lucy,

If she does have a UTI she will be feeling uncomfortable and it is no wonder that she is wheeking when she passes urine.

Cranberry juice is great stuff for piggies ( and ladies ) with cystitis ( UTI ). It is usually recommended that it be diluted as piggies do not always like the strong flavour but obviously this does not bother Lucy. It does not cure the cystitis but can hold the infection at bay.

Given enough experience and a large number of piggies, a UTI is often recognisable by the distinctive smell of the urine. Often the piggy affected will be very wet underneath, needing cleaning up and a barrier cream applying to prevent urine scald, which is very painful.

Blood is not always noticeable in the urine, especially to begin with.

Before starting a course of antibiotics I like to try one of the human cystitis remedies that are readily available in England from the pharmacy. There are several different brands but they are all based on sodium citrate. I have no idea if these are easy to buy where you are but if so, they are worth a try. They come in a box of five sachets and the one that I have is called Cymalon. One sachet of powder can be divided into three. Dilute one of these thirds into an eggcup of water and syringe it to piggy several times over the course of a day. The second third is then used for the next day, leaving the final third for the last day.

Of course, wheeking like this can also suggest the ( whisper it quietly ) presence of a stone. Luckily these are often easily removed from a sow by a vet or rodentologist without the dreaded surgery needed for boars.

Lots of hugs for Lucy.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.