[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Cavy Castration and Aggression

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Aug 15 16:49:44 EDT 2009

Hello Heather and the GPDD Family,

Heather do you live in Hawaii? Deb Ganley emailed me this morning at
02:15 Tampa Florida time about a Boar named Boomer in Hawaii. Castration
can be done very safely if done correctly. I think it would be a good
idea to get Boomer a girlfriend 4 weeks post castration. Spaying a
female cavy is far more dangerous. I am sure you know that a 1.0 kilo
cavy only has approximately 70 ml of blood which is about 4 tablespoons
of blood. Therefore, castration is far less invasive surgery than
removing the ovaries and both horns of the uterus.

Cavy Castration Protocol
Below is a link for the castration protocol that most USA trained vets
have the highest success rate. I have spoken to many vets about how they
go about castrating. This info comes from Cavy Spirit. I think you will
find it very interesting and informative.
http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

However, Vedra Stanley-Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy Trust and Guinea
Pig Hospital in her book “Diagnostic Guide to Guinea Pig Problems” has a
chapter on Castration (page 57). It also covers Aggression and the use
of Dog Appeasing Pheromones (D.A.P.) unit.  She also covers castration
on page 65 in her discussion of surgery. Castration will not stop
aggressive behavior it only stops reproduction. Vedra’s pre-op
medication is 10 mg Rimadyl that is equivalent to a 0.2 ml SQ injection
of Rimadyl 50mg/ml solution as the pre anesthetic pain medication.
Induction with 3.0% iso/servoflurane for anesthesia and maintenance with
1.5-2.0% isoflurane. After induction she uses an empty 1ml syringe to
suck out any surplus fluid from the back of the throat. Only if the cavy
has noisy breathing she may give 0.1 - 0.2 ml injection SC of 5% Lasix.
The patient is placed on a microwaveable hot pad that has been heated
for only 1 minute. It should be warm not hot. After surgery she turns
off the isoflurane and flushes the cavy with oxygen, puts a smear of
Vicks vapour rub on the nose and has them back on their feet and eating
within 10-15 minutes after surgery. I have used this surgical protocol
many times for various surgeries without any problems. Vedra NEVER uses
TORBUGESIC, KETAMINE or REGLAN for surgery, even bladder surgery.

Vedra believes that a boar should be 8-18 months old before castration.
The scrotal fat pads are NEVER re-inserted. Vicryl 2-0 is the only
suture material that she uses.

Rimadyl is given post-operatively for pain. Dose: 10 mg PO 6 hours after
surgery. Vedra gives Rimadyl 5 mg PO q12h for 3 days post surgery. Also
on the day of surgery the cavy is started on antibiotics. Dose: 2.5%
Baytril 0.5 ml PO q12h for 5 days. The Baytril must be mixed with juice
of very thin Critical Care. She  occasionally feeds Critical Care 1
teaspoon plus 2 teaspoons of water in a bowl twice a day for 5 days.
Remember Critical care contains probiotics and the cavy may go off food
directly after surgery but should not go off food if everything is done
correctly. Ideally the Critical Care is given 2 hours after the
antibiotic. I rarely need to use Oxbow's Critical care unless the cavy
was not in good condition prior to surgery. Castration is elective
surgery so Boomer should be in top shape before he is castrated.

You can buy Vedra's book at the following link. She accepts PayPal.
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/Products.html

Please feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions. I
am a long time student of Vedra's. In fact I suspect that I have been a
student of hers before you were born.

Regarding intelligence. Read Peter Gurney's books especially his last
book which was published by one of his guinea pigs after his death.
Gurney, Peter (April 2007). Last of Their Kind. Diggory Press. ISBN
978-1846856570.  He told me that his cavies and Vedra taught him
everything he knows about cavy health care.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.