[Gpdd] Health: Cysts/Parasites

ellen garrison elmga at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 08:38:33 EDT 2009

Dear Everyone and Everypiggy,

First, thank you to Penny for the info. about removing sebaceous cysts.  I am apprehensive about doing anything like that myself, I trust the vet very much. They at the animal care hospital and wellness center, had my rex guinea pig Rufie, [who by the way has chirped on two different occasions], for one morning and they did an excellent job.  the vet had to suture the site, the cyst was just above Rufie's behind, practically right on his grease gland. Does anyone know if these show up always on the grease gland?

Anyway, for a human it would have been about the size of a doorknob, and I am clue-free when it comes to surgery, i mean, i faint.  So the price to pay was worth it to me but I do thank you over there, Penny in the British Isles. I have been reading up on the Gpdd--i have some i saved in my God folder. i was just reading one Penny posted about worming. I had my guineas checked for parasites both external and internal, results were negative for the external, but Angel-daddy had some mites.  The vet recommended Adams flea and tick powder, which I had used before, when Gin Gin had mites, but the company has discontinued the powder, although they do have the mist, which seems to do well, but it smells like bad hairspray.

As for outdoor parasites, I don't think so, for us, because I have everypig inside, we live on the second floor of an apartment complex; we don't get out much LOL.  I was thinking of getting some fresh sod as a treat.

There was something on the news a while back that some people in Hawaii were eating fresh vegies from their garden that they had not washed.  they had not washed the vegies.  They got some parasite called something like "Rat Lungworm" and were comatose.  It sounded like the worst thing to get.  All because they did not wash their garden vegies.  I do not know what the outcome was, and had forgotten about it until just now. So everyone and everypig, please wash your garden vegies, just start doing this every time.