[Gpdd] HEALTH Cysts and parasites

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Aug 20 18:23:01 EDT 2009

Ellen,

Sebaceous cysts can crop up just about anywhere not just on or near the grease gland. It is good to have a vet that you can trust. These are like gold dust here in England but we are very lucky to have a two wonderful rodentologists.

Here, we use Ivermectin to kill mites on our piggies. I can buy it in a dropper bottle which dispenses exactly the right amount - 2 drops for an adult piggy, 1 drop for a smaller one over 3 months old - given orally. There have been discussions on this topic in the past and I remember that members in the US have posted about horse paste containing Ivermectin being used. No doubt one of our US members will advise you. Medications are very different between our two countries.

I had to Google Adam's flea and tick powder as I have never seen this in England. It seems to be good for carpets, dogs and cats but wonder if it is safe for piggies. As these nasty mites live inside the piggy's skin, I do not think that a powder would be sufficient to dispose of them.

Regards.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.