[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Hiding in back of cage

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 29 14:02:59 EDT 2009

Hershey spends most of her time in the front of her C&C cage, mooching goodies and relaxing. This morning I she was wheeking loudly even after I approached her cage and wouldn't come forward to eat her beloved vitamin C. It took awhile to coax her up to the front, which has never happened ever since I gained her trust over a year ago. She ate it readily with only minor hesitation. I came in later and she was back behind her feeder. When I gave her her hay, she attenpted to eat it from the backside of the feeder. She had another wheeking episode. It sounded as if she were summoning someone from far away. Again, it didn't cease when she saw me, which is really weird. After several tries I lured her to the front with some romaine, and she didn't immediately zip back to her hiding place. I'm afraid that she's avoiding the front of the cage because that's where she normally pees, and that the wheeks are wheeks of pain as she urinates.
Does a cry of pain sound like the sound a piggie makes when you catch her? It's definitely not that sound. I don't want to subject her to a visit with an unknown vet unless I have reason to. Hiding in the back of a cage isn't much of a symptom for a vet to work with. Has anyone had something like this happen??

Joanie