[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles to stay at the vet's

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 03:09:22 EST 2009

I supplement Vit C especially depending on what veggies Sammy is getting. I
use the Oxbow chewables or a regular people chewable, about 50 mg if he
isn't getting Vit C veggies or fruit that day. I do not put Vit C in his
water and with all respect, I dont put anything in his water. First the
taste may be off-putting and if they drink less they are more likely to get
stones, second Vit C degrades very quickly so I doubt your baby gets enough
to make a difference. The nice lady at Oxbow says if you cant get your
piggie to eat Vit C by emulating you, that you should leave a piece in his
bowl until he starts to eat it , and then of course, to keep feeding it that
way. My Sammy is the only piggie I ever had who doesn't like to eat it out
of my hand, so I tried the "ignore in the bowl" method and it seems to be
working unless he's hiding it. A couple months ago I was working with him
here at my computer desk, I ate half with him watching, then I put about a
quarter in his mouth and he ate it, I put the last 1/4 in (behind his front
teeth but not so far back he could choke on it, he ate that. I said good
Sammy, and a smiled, he gave me an unreadable look and turned to the
keyboard which is the exact color of the Vit C tabs and took a bite,
fortunately very small, but there's still a nick in the command key

I supplement with Critical Care, and have learned to shovel it in (nicely)
so getting them to like it isn't really necessary, I think pumpkin is OK
part of the time, but I believe changing the diet radically when sick, hay
and hay based foods are the best everyday for optimum health  and that's
what they should stay on in illness, but this is my opinion only.  When
leaving s a piggie at the vet make sure someone will be there all night, esp
if they have dogs who can start a barking party a scare a little piggie.
Piggies should be in a separate room. The little Pepto Bismol cup you
mentioned is a good size for syringe feedings, I just want to make sure no
one gets confused and gives Pepto Bismol to your pig, a small dose of
Kaopectate can be given for lose stools but no other product. If its not
cleared up in 2 hrs a vet is needed and if its really runny a vet is needed
asap as it mat be an infection or parasite that can be deadly.  I wish good
health and happiness to all piggies and their parent/ slaves esp the
pirates.  Get well soon Baby Truffles, Sandy and Shipwreck Sam