[Gpdd] HEALTH: Update Baby Truffles

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 03:20:28 EST 2009

Hi All
Well Baby Truffles went to the vet today to be "observed".  The vet noted some odd symptoms, eyes "tracking", staggered walking.  Based on this he decided to take another x-ray from the top of her head.  He noted the areas by the ears had some thickening, one side more than the other.  He speculated that these were signs of "vestibular disease."  He then prescribed baytril and prednisone for her and took her off of the metacam.  He also wanted us to keep giving the panacur.  He also suggested keeping up with the vit c and critical care and/or applesauce.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  The vet said that it appears we've caught it early.  Is there anything else that we can do?  Baby Truffles appears to want to eat, but has difficulty doing so, which breaks my heart.  She goes to her bowl, but I'm unsure as to what she's eating.  She seems to be able to eat some hay.

We had asked for a sub-q but he said syringing her water is fine.  So far, Baby Truffles doesn't take things by syringe that well.  She's gotten better, but she still tries to hide when she sees us coming.:D

We're still giving the critical care, but we've also tried canned pumpkin and will try applesauce.  As mentioned earlier, she really doesn't like the syringe.  You can tell she wants to eat but somehow is unable.

Any advise or experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks
Michael & Corrine