[Gpdd] [HEALTH] My guinea pig has two bladder stones and a kidney stone

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Dec 3 14:24:19 EST 2009

Dear Ellen
There is no need to leave Rufie at the vet's office overnight if your
vet uses the surgical protocol that I am attaching. This is a tried and
true method. I know vets and people in general do not like to change
their ways but I assist at all the cavy surgeries at Dr. Bonsacks office
and the piggys are up and eating within 15 minutes. It is always better
to send the cavy home so that he can heal in familiar surroundings. I
see you vet is using metacam which my long time teacher Vedra
Stanley-Spatcher refuses to use as does Dr Bonsack will not even use it
on dogs. So your vet may not like this surgical protocol. But it is the
best. It is the protocol that Veddra and her vets have used for years on
thousands of cavies. What more can I say.

Best of Luck. Keep up all the supportive work that you are doing for Rufie.

The information I am going to give you I learned from Vedra Stanley
Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy Trust (CCT) and Guinea Pig Hospital She
has operated a Guinea pig Hospital for over 30 years.
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/.
Dr. Bonsack DVM of Tampa Florida has used this method successfully to
remove stones from the urethra of female cavies.
http://adventureanimalhospital.com/index.html
No pre-op fasting.
If guinea pig has not been drinking well give 10ml of lactated Ringer’s
subcutaneously at shoulder prior to operation.
Syringe feed about 5 cc water prior to induction to clean out mouth.
Inject 10 mg of Rimadyl pre op for post op pain given 30 minutes pre-op.
Bland ointment may be used in the eyes if using a chamber or large nose
cone for induction.
Induction with 3.0% Isoflurane.
Remove any fluid or food particles from the back of the throat with a 1
cc syringe after induction.
Place cavy on microwaveable heating pad that has been heated for one
minute. Do not use an electric heating pad they get too hot.
Place small nose cone on cavy 2.5% Isoflurane for maintenance. May be
reduced to 1.75% after stones are removed.
Very important only use Rimadyl and Isoflurane for surgical procedures.
Perform operation, suture with vicryl.
On completion of operation turn off isoflurane flush patient with oxygen
put dollop of Vick’s vapour rub on nose and guinea pig should be back in
cage and eating/normal within 15 mins.
Keep patient warm.
Dr. Bonsack has been able to send home his cavy patients within an hour
of surgery. They have all been eating, urinating and defecating within
15 minutes of the isoflurane being switched off.
Keep patient on clean towels or vet bed until sutures dissolve.
Give 10mg of Rimadyl orally twice daily for 3 days then reduce to 5 mg
Rimadyl twice a day for another 4 days.
Pediatric Bactrim 0.5 ml orally twice a day for 10 days is prescribed
prophylactically.
If you have any questions call Vedra’s medical mobile line 44-7721026401
Remember she is in the UK and is 5 hours ahead of EST.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.