[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles to stay at the vet's

ME me at buddies.org
Fri Dec 4 04:15:11 EST 2009

I used to try to mask the Baytril taste, but then I ended up with
more of something they didn't like ... so now I just chase it down
with something they like with a strong taste ... like cranberry
juice.  The last thing I tried was grape juice (I didn't have anymore
cranberry, so I thought it might work ... turned out the pig liked it).

I've been hand feeding and giving meds for years ... trial and error
at first ... too bad the Internet wasn't as prevalent back in the
early days ... but my pigs taught me how to give them the best chance
for survival.  I used to wait until they lost about 100 grams before
I start hand feeding (3-5 times a day) ... but now I start
supplementing (2-3 times a day) when they've lost about 30 grams.
Right now, I'm hand feeding dry pellets to Grace for 10-20 minutes
every 4-5 hours three times a day (plus her meds about an hour before
her first feeding and an hour after her last feeding) ... not so much
to feed her, but to encourage eating since she seems to eat after
I've given her meds or fed her.  It's our private time of the day.

Strange thing, though.  When I was having these multiple private
times with Liberty, Harmony started acting up ... mounting the others
(especially Liberty) and being a general pest.  One day I told my
husband I didn't understand why she started doing it so aggressively
and he told me she was jealous.  It was then I realized that I had
been spending so much time with Liberty, hand feeding her every 2-3
hours that I hadn't been handling the others.  Funny, since Harmony
never seemed to want to be picked up ... she still doesn't ... but
now I make it a point to hold everyone everyday ... and the incidents
have subsided quite a bit (though she still acts the pest every once
in awhile).