[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby truffles update

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Dec 5 10:17:41 EST 2009

Michael and Corrine, I'm so sorry to hear that Baby Truffles is not doing well.
I hope that she will be doing better soon now that it seems like you are closer to a diagnosis.

Two of my piggies have neurological problems and head tilts. Right now, they are doing well, so there is hope.

Cocoa Puff's problems started with a massive ear infection while he was in a pet store.
Because they couln't sell him, they were going to put him down, but he was rescued by some nice folks in Orlando and eventually found his way to us.
He was treated with antibiotics, vitamin C injections, and a lot of other stuff, but his little head tilt seems to be permanent.

He still has some problems with eating and eats much slower than the others, but after living here for the past three months, he's gaining weight and doing much better.
He's on a maintenance dose of Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Opthalmic Solution USP (0.1% Dexamethasone Phosphate Equivalent) -  one drop in his left ear every other day, which seems to help keep his head on straighter.
Since it's an Opthalmic solution, it's an eye drop, but my vet said that it works well in ears too.

He had an upper respiratory infection last week, but he's almost done with his meds and seems to be feeling much better.
He's even well enough to fight us every time we try to give him his next dose.  I think we only have three more days left.

One thing that really seemed to help him when we first got him, and he was so skinny was giving him Benebac. Fortunately, he loves it and licks it off a carrot like frosting.

I'm not sure if she's already using it, but it might help Baby Truffles.

We hope that little Baby Truffles will be back to 100% soon!

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Puffy, Cocoa Puff, Ghirardelli, Chakalaka, Twinkie, and Dillon Forever in our Hearts