[Gpdd] HEALTH: Blossom and us say 'thank you!'

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 06:59:32 EST 2009

Previously at the vet's(the vet we were scheduled to see, the one that has been treating Baby Truffles, was busy, so they had us see a new vet who also knows guinea pigs.), Michael asked her if he should give a probiotic after the flagyl.  She said it's used to treat GI disorders and stimulate appetite, so no, you do not need to.

But after reading all the latest advice from fellow GPDDer's, we gave Blossom a probiotic (BeneBac) tonight.  As Peter Gurney says, gp's seem to know what they need.  Well, she grabbed the syringe with the BeneBac and ate it quite quickly!  She's never done that before.  It seemed to nearly immediately make her feel better.  Michael thinks the gel texture may have helped soothe her throat.  And, it's only been two hours since we gave her the BeneBac but she's laying down normally, not in that 'C' shape.  She also looks a lot better.

After my happiness, I sort of felt immense guilt.  I mean, I should have just given it to her earlier!  I just feel so awful that she was probably feeling pretty bad and I didn't do much about it when I could have.  Like I said it's only been a couple of hours, but so far, she does look a bit better.  She's still not eating on her own, but just looking at her, she looks a tad improved.

By the way we are still waiting for the vet to call after we reported seeing possible blood in the piggies urine.

So to all of you who mentioned giving a probiotic, whee all say a very loud THANK YOU!

Wheeks,

Corrine and Michael and Blossom