[Gpdd] GPDD (MISC) (My GP, Rufie was dehydrated)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:30:05 EST 2009

Hi Carol,
I have been so busy.  I want to give you and everyone an update.
I know it must be morning in England now, it is night time here--11:30 pm,
I am waiting til midnight to give Rufie his metacam.

What happened was: throughout last week, I noticed he was not eating or
drinking on his own.  i have been syringing critical care and water to him.
By Saturday I had a chance to call the vet.
He seemed dehydrated --and I only talked to the vet tech, because vet was
not working that day...they consulted with the vet and asked me to bring him
in for subcues (which he finally got today), I could not take him on
Saturday since I had to work.  I mean, I cannot just leave my shift at
work.  I tried to tell the vet tech all, but i probably left some things
out.  So I don't know what she told the vet exactly.

Long story short, I called vet's emergency number on Sunday and she was a
little upset but so was I . she is adamant about the use of metacam vs.
rimadyl.  The surgery was scheduled for the following day for bladder stone
removal.  i was concerned he was not drinking or eating on his own, and she
was concerned about the kidney health. I knew in my heart that in that
condition, he would not get through the surgery well, and she said she was
not going to do the bladder stone removal without him getting his gut going
again.
The analgesic they gave (buprenorphine) on Nov. 30th can slow the gut down.
He had also been on metacam. She said on Sunday to stop all meds for now.  I
did not want him in pain and neither did she.  But I did what she said
because she was very adamant.  So i brought him in today (this was Tuesday)
and they took xrays again. Their ultra-sound machine is broken, and there is
a radiologist that comes to the island, but not for 2 weeks.
Well, the kidney stone was gone, and she said it looked like it may have
actually been sludge and dissolved.  they took 4 xrays, (but charged me for
only two, including areas of his urethra and of his molars.  no more than
two stones in the bladder, one small but not small enough to get lodged.
Molars looked normal.)
i do not want to criticize this vet because they're the ones doing the work
and I am paying them.  They gave him subcues for dehydration; and they gave
him something for the gut to move, called metoclopramide, and also put him
on baytril, since he was beginning to get a URI. I have to keep giving him
critical care until he starts to eat on his own again.

I just now gave him the pain med. so will try to give syringing in a few
minutes.  It is weird, I mean, he eats a little bit of certain things, but
only a very little bit. So i will b e giving him critical care a lot.
Also I know it seems that there is much heated controversy regarding
anesthesia with looking in the piggies mouth.  I feel I am only
getting "bits and pieces" sometimes when I hear fragments. At this
vet's, they do only use isoflourane with a mask which is for small animals.
they said if he is not doing well to return in a couple days for more
fluids.

 Honestly, I was so concerned with Rufie not eating all week on his own. I
mean, he would nibble a little here and a little there but not a substantial
amount. His poos started to resemble rat droppings. The critical care /plain
ascorbic acid in water /pure water is what I have been syringing (or,
'medicine-droppering'). as much as possible but not to the point where
stress comes in. Not more than 25-30 mg. vit.c (ascorbic acid).
Also i got some Rescue Remedy for animals that is made with glycerin not
alcohol. I put a drop on his ears and once i put a tiny drop in his mouth
but it doesn't need to be internal to have an affect. it is just to calm
him. it only affects the body indirectly as it affects the auric field
primarily.

They did try twice to take a blood test and let me tell you, this vet said
the clipping toenails is not an accurate reading for a blood test.  she said
it has to come from a vein.
This vet could not get a blood sample. I asked why the clipping toenail did
not work and she, I think, was not into explaining it to me.  I feel like
people are going to say something about this vet now.  "She should explain
it."

Please remember that for the majority, I speak for the layperson.  I am not
schooled in the veterinary field.  I do not wish to offend anyone, I just
want my piggie to be better.  No one is going to agree on everything.  Vets
are not usually going to be --like-- they don't know what they are doing.
If they do know what they are doing, then they are humble enough to let you
say something and listen to you , and at the same, they have enough pride
that they will give you their opinion and not be wimpy.
I know everyone here means well, and not everyone is going to agree. it is
ok.

Please just think some good thoughts for my Rufie.  I have had him for 3 and
a half years so I think he is about 4 now.  I rescued him from a pet shop
after another boar tore his ear.  Rufie has a tag on his ear that looks like
he is wearing an earring.  he is one of the sweetest piggies ever.  He is
in  good hands with me.

Many thank yous.
Ellen