[Gpdd] HEALTH: Blossom saw the vet

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 07:14:06 EST 2009

A piggy getting 100% fruit juice cant be getting too much probiotics, how
can any body get to much, except of course from yogurt in people and pigs
who cant digest it.  To say that yogurt, a milk product which a piggy has no
natural way to digest is the right one honestly makes me doubt this vet. So
if it has to be yogurt make it plain with live cultures, preferably an
organic brand that's lists several live cultures, not just acidophilus. The
fruit juice, please please please get her 100% cranberry juice. The others
are just too sweet and the cranberry has antibiotic properties that will
protect her urinary tract. Also when a pig get too much sugar they are
susceptible to yeast infections including thrush.  Piggies, esp girl, seem
to get diabetes's very easily, so you should get some urine dip sticks and
monitor her urine.

Have you ever had too much sugar, it makes you feel groggy and tired, you
want a nap, so the sugar, esp if she's becoming diabetic will make her
lethargic.You may get a kick first but then lethargy sets in.   The strips
are cheap and the pharmacist will point them out, sometimes they keep them
behind the counter. If she shows sugar in her urine cut back off the fruit
juice. Diabetes will kill a piggy and can progress quickly and is very hard
to control. Sweets will do this. I am assuming the vet will now allow her to
eat, a long term fruit juice diet will not support her and is not medically
defensible.

In the meantime I urge you to make critical care 95% of her diet if he still
wont eat piggy food.  Am I correct, is she the one with ovarian cysts? if
not this applies to that piggy as well. Those pigs, due to the hormones from
the cyst disease make the piggy very thirsty so she will seem to crave both
water and the syringe, they are literally burning up from the revved up
metabolism, and a piggy with these cysts will drink more and more and become
demanding about it. My little Jetma would literally grab the syringe from my
hand and try to suck out the contents.

Please use unsweetened 100% cranberry juice. If yogurt is insisted upon us
no sugar, low fat or better, no fat yogurt with several live probiotics,
here's the list of probiotics in the yogurt I eat every day. L. acidophilus,
S. thermophilus, L bulgaricus, L. casei, L. rhamnosus, B. bifidum
cultures.This is Nancy's Lowfat plain yogurt $3.49 for 64 oz. no hormones
(important) and NO FRUIT added. Still its 13 % of a humans daily allowance
of sat. fat (for a 1 cup serving. Piggies have no allowance or maybe 1% as a
max.. I also use Mountain High.  A better  yogurt can be homemade in a
YOgourmet Yogurt maker, it allows a lower cooking temp for 24 hrs instead of
a higher one for 6 or 8 hours, thereby using up more of the lactose or milk
sugar. You have to buy a yogurt culture with all these cultures in it.
Amazon.com carries it. The other reason I mention it as the yogurt made this
may is a great treatment for IBS, crohns disease, or lactose intolerance for
the reason given. (see the CCFA website)Crohns Colitis Foundation of
America.

As to your earlier question about the expensive probiotic with Jerusalem
artichoke. That is a tuber type vegetable sometimes used as potato
substitute or peeled and sliced into salads, also called sun choke. It in
itself has no probiotic qualities. It is being used as the base, and sounds
like it might be good since its a vegetable and piggies need to digest
veggies not milk, but there must be many other ingredients and they all
matter, besides as I said its not a probiotic, just a carrier, and we have
no idea what percentage of the contents it represent. I wouldn't pay $30 for
a probiotic, but you might either call or look up the product on the
internet to find out what it's claim to fame is.