[Gpdd] MISC: BLOSSOM IS GONE

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Dec 19 06:28:52 EST 2009

Dear Corrine, I am so very sorry your little girl is gone and I share your
heartbreak.  However; your decision to go to the vet was not the problem.
The oxygen and lasix extended her life a bit.  She was in distress and would
have died had she remained at home and you would not know what killed her.
The problem, as the vet said, is that they didn't catch the heart failure
closer to when it was developing, a piggie can live with heart failure if on
meds, for an undetermined amount of time, just like people, maybe shorter
maybe for quit a long while, but it has to be diagnosed and treated and that
is not your fault. You have given her the best medical attention that was
available on your island.  Since she probably had this for quite a while,
the sub-Q's needed for dehydration also put a load on the heart to clear out
any excess fluid.   Its a very tight line to walk if the vet doesn't pick up
the heart failure.

I think the vet, having given her the heart meds and oxygen, sent her home
knowing she would go and that she would rather go at home. All piggies
prefer to go at home, they are comfortable in their surroundings with their
loved ones, with you.   The twitching was the actual time her sprit was
separating from her body, she was at home with you, and that is a fine gift
you gave her. So you did the right thing at the end and it should comfort
you.

She has been sick for a long time and you worked tirelessly. Many piggies
just dont live very long. It's true we get many that live many years but
many more die sooner. It can be generations of overbreeding and inbreeding.
Many start from bad environments or from unhealthy parents. One thing is
true, you will outlive every pig you ever have, thank God. Same if dog or
cat. There may be things along the way that weren't done perfectly but there
is not one of us who has not made serious or fatal mistakes.  You knew she
was sick, worked hard, got the best care you could, and worked yourself to
exhaustion. This is heartbreak but it is also love.

I am so glad that she died at home with you, harder for you but soooo much
better for her. Bless you all  Sandy and Shipwreck Sam