[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Losing a piggie

ME me at buddies.org
Mon Dec 21 08:41:50 EST 2009

I don't use Critical Care.  I did for a few years, but found that my
pigs preferred the mash I made out of their regular feed.  I haven't
put Grace on a mash since she's eating normal food ... pellets, hay,
veggies.  I'm just hand feeding to supplement and keep her thinking
about eating and keep her energy up ... it's something I just picked
up over the years.  I just hand feed her some dry pellets for about
10 minutes 2-4 times a day ... just enough to get her going ... it's
also a time I can monitor her attitude, make sure she still has that
attitude.  Often, right after I put her back, she goes off to eat and
drink.  I also use the veggies, spaced out evenly between the hand
feedings, in the same way ... she shares the veggie time with her
friends, then she goes off and eats pellets and hay.  I've found the
supplementing often keeps the illness from getting worse, and it
definitely helps them keep a fighting attitude.