[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles not really eating

ME me at buddies.org
Tue Dec 22 00:26:58 EST 2009

The way I encourage them to eat is to hand feed dry pellets for about
10 minutes every 2-4 hours (depending on how much weight they've lost
or their activity level).  You have to push the pellets to the back
part of their mouths or they'll spit them out.  I think it's
important to give food as it's normally given unless the pig can't
ingest it.  In between feedings, I give veggies to continue to
encourage them to eat on their own.

I weigh them before each feeding.  If they're more than 10% below
their normal body weight, I'm more aggressive with feeding, 20-30
minutes of feeding, every 2-3 hours.  If they're still losing weight,
I extend the hours I feed them (when I'm just supplementing, I just
do it from around 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., but if they're losing weight it's
more like 5 a.m. - 10 p.m.).