[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Waffles appears to have a cold

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Dec 22 05:11:00 EST 2009

Poor Waffles,

If any of my piggies have a cold, they are treated as I would a child.
Children's over the counter medicines are very suitable for piggies.

I give Sudafed Decongestant (0.4ml for me in England ) twice daily and the
same dose of Children's Liquid Nurofen ( brand name of Ibuprofen ). This is
not only a painkiller but also an anti inflammatory.

I put a dab of Vick on their nostrils and also on their front paws so that
they can inhale the vapour when they are napping. I also use Menthol
Crystals, which are highly recommended by my Rodentologist. Break a piece
from a crystal and dissolve it in very hot water in a small container. I use
a baby food jar and hold it in a towel as the jar gets too hot for my hand.
Sit piggy so that his nose is over the top of the jar but not touching it
and let him breathe the vapour. Most piggies love it. It can be reheated in
the microwave for another session.

Something to help clear his nose is a drop or two of Baytril. Towel wrap
piggy and lay him on his back. A drop from a syringe is dripped up each
nostril ( actually down as he will be on his back ) and then another two or
three. Then massage just between the eye and the nostril and you may well be
rewarded with a sneeze and a load of mucus, which will make him feel a lot
better.

Listen to Waffle's chest in case this cold develops in something nastier.
Listen out for rasping or squeaky breathing.I know from personal experience
that my colds can become bronchitis, when I have to take antibiotics, but
these will not cure a cold. Any sign of laboured breathing as opposed to the
cold symptoms needs a trip to the vet.

Will someone in the US verify the doses please. They can vary between our
countries and the names of the meds can vary too which makes life confusing.

Hugs for Waffle.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.