[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Sudafed and Ibuprofen for colds

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Wed Dec 23 12:02:09 EST 2009

Dear GPDD Family,

Penny wrote the following response regarding Waffles having a cold. I
use the same medicines in treating a viral cold that does not involve
and fluid in the lungs. Regarding the use of Vicks, I use it 3
times/day. I do know that Vedra Stanley-Spatcher recommends the use of
the Baytril drip method. I have never used this method so I will have to
check with Penny as to what concentration of Baytril she is using. Since
Penny is in England she asked if someone would check the dosages of
Sudafed and Ibuprofen.

Poor Waffles,

If any of my piggies have a cold, they are treated as I would a child.
Children's over the counter medicines are very suitable for piggies.

I give Sudafed Decongestant (0.4ml for me in England ) twice daily and the
same dose of Children's Liquid Nurofen ( brand name of Ibuprofen ). This is
not only a painkiller but also an anti inflammatory.

I put a dab of Vick on their nostrils and also on their front paws so that
they can inhale the vapour when they are napping. I also use Menthol
Crystals, which are highly recommended by my Rodentologist. Break a piece
from a crystal and dissolve it in very hot water in a small container. I
use
a baby food jar and hold it in a towel as the jar gets too hot for my hand.
Sit piggy so that his nose is over the top of the jar but not touching it
and let him breathe the vapour. Most piggies love it. It can be reheated in
the microwave for another session.

Something to help clear his nose is a drop or two of Baytril. Towel wrap
piggy and lay him on his back. A drop from a syringe is dripped up each
nostril ( actually down as he will be on his back ) and then another two or
three. Then massage just between the eye and the nostril and you may
well be
rewarded with a sneeze and a load of mucus, which will make him feel a lot
better.

Listen to Waffle's chest in case this cold develops in something nastier.
Listen out for rasping or squeaky breathing.I know from personal experience
that my colds can become bronchitis, when I have to take antibiotics, but
these will not cure a cold. Any sign of laboured breathing as opposed to
the
cold symptoms needs a trip to the vet.

Will someone in the US verify the doses please. They can vary between our
countries and the names of the meds can vary too which makes life confusing.

Hugs for Waffle.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

In the USA Children's Sudafed = pseudoephedrine HCL 15mg in 5.0 mL
In the UK Children's Sudafed = pseudoephedrine HCL 30 mg in 5.0 mL
Thus in the USA you would have to give 0.8 mL twice a day to administer
the same dosage that Penny uses in the UK. Children's Sudafed is usually
held behind the pharmacist's counter even though it is an over the
counter drug.

In the USA and UK Children's Ibuprofen is 100 mg in 5.0 ml. Therefore
use 0.4 ml twice a day.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.