[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles update

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 10:35:34 EST 2009

Hi Corrine    Truffles has a "neurological thing"  this is news to me
although I'm sure you posted it at sometime I dont remember everything, I
couldn't possibly, but depending on what it is, and that whee find out from
what the symptoms are, means there could be a disease or parasite running
through your whole caviary. That's why I asked that question the other day.

I'm not surprised a vet wouldn't give you Baytril on demand, I dont know of
any doc or vet who would. Its very hard for a lay person to diagnose an
infection. I would be more concerned about pain relief. What is she getting
for pain?  The number one cause of a pig not eating is pain of some kind,
from bad teeth to infection, virus, blockage, stasis, gas, tumors, cysts,
abscesses, impaction, ear infection, all those cause pain, the pigs stops
eating, commences to go down hill and without pain meds just slowly slides
down hill until death.

Back to the neurological,  please tell us what the symptoms are, is the only
one that her eyes dont track? What exactly did the vet say about that, is
she the daughter of Blossom. Its even possible that she has e.c., round
worms, etc. eating their way through her body to her brain and optic nerve,
and she could have got it from Blossom or her mother at birth

That's why I believe the time line I asked for is so critical, with all the
symptoms, living conditions, foods, exposures, docs advice, everything so
whee can put this together into a cohesive whole. One symptom dos not make a
diagnosis, nor does two, but this neurological thing has me worried and
brings up some very nasty possibilities. Neurological is not normal at all.
I'm surprised your vet hasn't dug into that.
Has Truffles or any of your pigs had a fecal float for certain parasites?
Have any other pigs had neurological signs, is there a rabbit in the house
or wild ones outside, how about the raccoons, I need to know this!!

As far as what the vet told he its the exact same thing I said about piggies
not living long lives except that I added that since you have had a string
of deaths, all the facts must be laid out esp for every pig that is sick or
has died to find the common tread among these deaths and illness. Its true
that some pigs live longer than others, but I disagree with the doc that
nothing can be done. Many fine vets and scientists have made their life's
work studying, writing texts, and treating small animals, and for many very
complicated diseases and conditions. My exotics vet even did a bowel
resection on a piggie.  If this vet does mostly dogs and cats, then its
clear he's telling you he doesn't respect pocket pets, and that he thinks
its useless to treat them.  And from your last 2 visits its quite clear he
has no interest in yours. A neurological symptom is a serious occurrence and
should be followed up.
I hope and believe that with your help we can get the info we need to help
your piggies but I think you may have mentioned a better vet but further
away and you may want to seriously consider using that one.
best regards Sandy and Sammy