[Gpdd] MISC: bonded piggies?

ME me at buddies.org
Thu Dec 24 22:58:57 EST 2009

Since I have a group of them living together (now just five, though
I've had up to eight ... I think six is a nice number), most of mine
aren't bonded strictly to one ... so they do fine after a death.  One
of mine was spooked by Liberty's passing last month, but after
cuddles and reassurance from me, she did alright.  The only time I
had one that didn't seem to do so well was my diabetic guinea pig,
Viola.  She was blind from cataracts, so another pig, Truffles, was
basically her eyes.  The two were unseparable.  When Truffles passed
away (she was 7), Viola seemed lost ... and passed away about a month
later.  It may have been a coincidence, though, since Viola was 5.5
years old.  My vet was surprised she lived so long with diabetes
(diagnosed just after her first birthday).

I would think she'd probably do just fine if you spent lots of time
with her ... they do need companionship, whether piggie or human.
Before 1995, I just had solo pigs ... but I started working more out
of the home, so I got a friend to keep her company (and then
another ... and so on ... it's been a long time since I've had fewer
than four).  I really enjoy watching how they interact with one
another.  And I've found it doesn't affect how close they get to
me ... that's just dependent on their personality.