[Gpdd] [Health] Bonded Piggies, Corrines issues, Truffles

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Dec 25 10:10:46 EST 2009

Hi and Merry Christmas to all the Piggies and parent slaves and a hearty
pirate toast to all the piggies who entertained us with their antics, the
piggies who proved over and over that love is alive in his crazy life by
making us and their piggie companions grieve deeply when they sicken or go
to the rainbow bridge. To the Parent Slaves who spent endless hours and
precious treasure to entertain their piggie charges and to try to keep them
happy and healthy in a world where even some vets think they are expendable
and not even worthy of being studied to learn how to keep them healthy, I
say that vet should walk the plank!!  Piggies are complex little creatures,
as each of us discovered, and that's what makes them so worth our love
admiration and endless hours to keep them well and happy.

Alyssa and Nancy are of course totally correct. Piggies grieve for their
lost companions. I had one who was soooo intelligent he was able to
recognize a threat of separation from his beloved companion if he didn't
straighten up and accept a third piggy into their pair bond. That is very
complex thinking indeed, and it really happened, full story on request.

That said, with baby Truffles it concerns me to think that her very real
grief would cause her neurological symptoms to return, I dont think so,
unless she has had a return of an old e.c. infection, that could easily do
it. Corrine's description of the vets previous findings of a lesion near the
ear makes me think that she most likely had a middle or inner ear infection
and that it, or an abscess that may have formed from the pus of it, caused
the lesion that caused some brain damage which in turn damaged her optic
nerve which caused her to have eyes that dont track or that may have caused
a nystigmus or other eye, brain, or nerve damage connection. The choice to
treat with Panacur and baytril was a good one, as it would treat ear
infection and e.c., but please note that to fight a neurological pest like
e.c. panacur must be given for 28 days along with the antibiotic and a third
anti-inflammatory/pain relief drug. So if all that happened and her ear
infection was cured or an e.c. infection was forced into remission, that
was a good thing and a blessing. But I doubt grief would cause the return of
neurological symptoms from an ear infection, but it is well known this since
its well neigh impossible to permanently cure e.c. it is well within the
realm of possibility that the stress of grief from a lost companion. could
allow an e.c  infection to come out of dormancy and threaten Truffles life
again. So It might be wise, to repeat the 28 day e.c. cure.  E.c. can recur
at any time during a piggies lifetime, so  the nursing mother of Truffles
was Blossom, if it is e.c. it could have come from Blossom? More that one of
your piggies could have e.c. and it might have lived in caviary for a long
time, hitting some, skipping others. Have any of your other pigs ever had
any neurological problems, hind leg weakness, trouble walking, head tilt or
eye problems?

Corrine,  you may have started us now with enough details to want to check
the history of your caviary to see if the mystery killer in your midst might
be e.c., to see if Truffles may have a relapse of e.c.and I would like to
explore this a bit more. I sent you a detailed message the other day asking
you to put together a detailed timeline type history of your caviary as you
have had a lengthy series of deaths including CaSee (KC) sp?, Snowy Bear,
Blossom, and now and still Truffles and another one, Sparkles who isn't
doing all that well. Well as luck and timing would have it apparently it
didn't go through to the digest, but you got your copy, so now with this
little bit of added info from you I am a bit more convinced that something
is wrong in your caviary and that a complete time line and history of it and
all your pigs including the ones that died and the ones that haven't is
necessary. If you can find the time and energy to put such a complete
history together whee maybe able to find your secret killer, a parasite, a
continuing infection, something passed on from your good works feeding feral
cats, stray birds or raccoons brining in a disease or parasite, so something
wrong in their long term care that may not be working well for them, there
may be a common thread between these diseases and we as your friends and
supporters are a fine bunch of knowledgeable piggie people who are committed
to piggie welfare and whee can help you root out the common thread if there
is one. If we find it whee can fix it and help you move part this awful part
of your life where you are miserable and depressed and feeling like a piggy
killer. In going back to Snowy Bear's case and although he ultimately died
of the botched surgery for stones, we should also go back into his other
history before that and see if their are clues and symptoms there also.
maybe the stones and surgery were a red herring and diverted our attention
to some detail that might fit in with the other illness' and deaths.

I admire you for you many good works, but recently you have explained you
are so busy in several animal rescue activities plus you have a demanding
job and your piggies, plus your hubby and family???  So it may be possible
that your kind heart has you overextended and overworked and also that there
may be some contamination from the feral cats into your caviary esp. a
parasite. Any bunnies wild or domestic around? Any raccoons? All these can
carry horrible piggy killing parasites and your answer maybe that simple,
plus you may need to simplify your life into no more than one or two hobbies
outside your job and family life so that the issues you chose to focus on
you can do well, in depth, and with confidence. Whatever the answer is, if
you can help us with the histories and experiences to glean through all that
old stuff and find out what your piggie mystery is, and figuring that out
will help you climb out of your blue funk and get your piggies healthy
again, wouldn't that be a grand start on the new year?  And most likely the
answer is going to be something you had no idea about and so couldn't
control, but even if it turns out to be something wrong in your care of them
at least we will have found and fixed it and that will make your life and
their life better, right? No embarrassment, just an end to unnecessary
deaths IF their is a common cause.   At the very least if we work hard and
find nothing that is an answer too, proving its a string of bad luck and
accidents, and I'm pretty sure , some poor vet care.  Did you say there is a
better one but they are further away? If so you probably better move to the
far one, if they are better and we find the cause of the illness, there will
be fewer trips. Somewhere there is an answer, I'm just sure!

Later today or tomorrow I will resend the message that got stuck, and I may
be you have to wait a week or two till the holiday activities are over to do
the work, but when you can do it I think we will get a lot closer to solving
your piggy mystery and we would all feel good about that.  Merry Christmas
and fond hopes for a kinder better new year at your house, with love, Sandy
and Sammy pirating with his lady love and friends at last. Missing your lost
loves