[Gpdd] MISC - anyone know what a swiss guinea pig is like?

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Sun Dec 27 05:16:58 EST 2009

Hello, I was looking on a local breeder's website last night and noticed she is hoping to start breeding swiss guinea pigs.  I've tried to find a good description of them but can't find much information on them.  In a couple of places I've seen them described as swiss teddies but the sites also say they're different from the normal teddy.  Has anyone ever seen one and if so can you describe what they are like, i.e. are they long/short haired, curly, tufty, etc.  There do seem to be a few new piggy breeds appearing (or at least ones I've not heard of before).  I was reading a few months ago about a relatively new swedish breed called the lunkarya, apparently they're something like a texel but have very curly, thick and coarse coats.  They're another type I'd like to be able to see one day, although at the moment here in the UK there are only a handful of breeders so I expect they'll be pretty rare for a while yet.  It's amazing how many different coat types there are when you!
  really look into it.