[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles eats a little on her own

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 04:17:35 EST 2009

Each day, Baby Truffles, sometimes improves here, and stays the same there.  Today, she actually curled into a normal sleep position while sleeping rather than just laying head straight out flat, looking severely depressed.  She has also begun to nibble at a baby carrot and eating some lettuce pieces on her own.  She eats nowhere near what she needs so we still supplement her by placing pellets into her mouth.  She also doesn't drink on her own at all, so she's syringed water throughout the day.  Understandably, she still looks a lot depressed.  We try to change her environment or give her attention.  Yesterday, we had to take a car ride so we brought her along and placed her little carrier between the two front seats on this storage like area.  We put the front of her carrier down so that she could see us and come outside if she wanted to.  Yes, we would carefully watch her.  Occasionally, she'd come out and nuzzle Michael's arm as he drove.  Or, I put
 my arm on the other side of her and I'd feel this fuzzy little nose.  She even came out and lay nearly across my entire arm.  I petted her and spoke to her.  My guess is that she misses snuggling with mompig, Blossom.  She's known Blossom, Michael and me her whole life.  So we're guessing she's leaning on us now.

We don't have a grassy lawn so the piggies don't really go outside.  We don't have raccoons in Hawaii but we do have wild pigs.  On this island, we also have hawks, I've seen them!  We also have mongoose.  We do have a pet rabbit but he's never been near the piggies.  And when we do handle him, we're always careful to wash our hands and even change our clothing.  The rabbit and piggies don't share food or bedding.

I give Michael a lot of credit because after my two flu shots, I had gotten sick.  Probably a side effect but maybe I did get sick.  Either way, Michael was there to take care of Baby Truffles' needs.  I'd wear a mask and gloves to help take care of the piggies, but Michael was the main one.  Baby Truffles has some almost normal poos but they're mixed with soft poo so we're not sure what's going on.  We give her brewer's yeast, vitamin C, and occasionally bene bac.  We figure she's not getting her 'vitamins' since she's not eating proper.

Thanks to everyone for their help and kind words and encouragement!  They've really helped us!

Corrine