[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE New Piggyfriends Part Deux

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Feb 1 12:24:04 EST 2009

Where was I? Oh, yes, I had arrived home with my three new boys plus Bramley and dear Frodo.

First priority was to prepare a box for Frodo, with hay and flowers. I had wanted to bury him next to his original friend Maple, but that space had been filled by Maple's brother and sisters so I started a new patch under a lilac tree.

Bramley was welcomed home by his brother, Cadbury and I went to the garage for cages.

Having expected to put my neutered boy in with Hope and her girls, I was as unprepared as was Chris at Cavies' Castle.

As he still had his stitches, I decided to keep him separate for a while, although I will see if he and Shadow get on in a few days time. I have a large cage of the type that I think of as low birdcages. The ones with a plastic tray base and a wire top that lifts off. So I settled him into that and placed it next to Shadow's pen. He came rushing over for a chat so that may work out well.

I have a smaller one of those cages that I use as a hospital cage but there is plenty of room for two tiny babes, so I set it up for them.

On the drive home, I had been thinking of names. Many of the Piggyfriends have had jewel names, currently Sapphire, Diamond and Crystal and, although some of these are too girly, I though that Garnet might be a suitable name for a boy. I asked him what he thought of it and he did not object, merely wanted to get on with the all impotant eating, so he has a name card to that effect attached to his cage. He is a lovely tame boy, who comes running to the front of the cage when food is produced and sits nicely to be picked up for a cuddle and for me to check that his stitches are OK. The surgeon did a very neat job. Garnet is going back to Cavies' Castle for a check up next Friday as, although the stitches are soluble, they sometimes need a little help in so doing.

The tiny babes are doing well. The little white Rex is very noisy and already knows to shout for food. His small friend, who is copper with lighter highlights, likes to hide behind him, although his confidence grows daily. I was concerned at his runty size but he is eating well and is not bullied by his larger friend. Neither of them will eat carrot but seem to munch everything else that I give them and I am sure that I can see them growing.

I have used up all of the snow type names so have decided to go back to the choc and candy theme and have named him Polo. Are Polo sweets universal? Round white mints with a hole in the middle. He is certainly very round and white. I used to have a white sow called Pola years ago but I'm sure that she would not mind sharing her name.

The little red boy I have named Copper. He is very sweet with beautiful red eyes and does not object to being picked up. Polo has a little run around first but they are going to be no trouble to tame.

It is fun to have tiny babes in the house again, bouncing around like ping pong balls then suddenly falling over in a heap for a nap. They take my mind off the loss of Frodo for a while. Having a large herd of piggies, there are always going to be sad times like this.

I have taken a few pigtures of the new boys and I really must find the time to put some on Photobucket for everyone to see along with other Piggyfriends. Carla suggested that we could all join Facebook to share our piggy pigtures. I didn't know much about social networking ( so many piggies, so little time as always ) but my son, whose colleagues at work are doing it when they should be working, said that it leaves one open to vast amounts of spam so now I am not so sure. Also there is a case in the news in England, where a girl was abducted by some dodgy guy that she met on Facebook. Now, we are not silly enough to fall for that kind of scam but I am not sure if I want to be a part of something where dodgy guys abound. Perhaps Carla could let us know how she is getting on with it.

Birdie, if you are reading this, could you add Garnet, Copper and Polo to the Piggyfriends boars list. Thanks.

I also want to thank everyone that has sent me such kind messages following the loss of my dear Frodo. Every message is treasured and will be kept for the future.

Regards to you all,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.