[Gpdd] HEALTH Guinea pig with problems

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Feb 5 12:37:06 EST 2009

I'm sorry to read about Chocolate's health problem.

I hope that you are syringe feeding him to keep him going as it is vital to avoid gut stasis. A piggy needs a constant supply of food passing through his system. Sometimes a syringe feeder will also be able to take little strips of veg as well if you place them into his mouth, as far back as you can.

Another problem with piggies that are reluctant to eat is that their teeth can rapidly overgrow.

When I have a poorly piggy that needs syringe feeding, I always keep him/her with his/her companions as it makes no difference to the amount of food being taken and it avoids the stress that could be caused by separation.

If the poorly one is able to eat some food by him/herself then I either give him a separate eating time so that his friends do not clear up all the veggies or I put the poorly one in my hospital cage, which can be placed either inside the usual pen or right next door and the piggy still has the interaction with the group.

I do hope that Chocolate will be OK. Do keep us posted as we all worry about everyone else'e piggies as well as our own.

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( a piggy sanctuary in England ).