[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] The power of piggy prayers (Scoot)

Debbie Jones pals4pets at cheerful.com
Sat Feb 7 05:19:19 EST 2009

As you will have gathered from Penny's posting, Scoot and I made it to
Cavies Castle. There were blizzard conditions in the south of the UK all
day Tuesday, but when we arrived in the evening the snow had stopped and
a thaw was setting in. The shovel, wellies, extra clothing and flask of
hot soup I'd taken all proved to be unnecessary, and after an overnight
stay at my daughter's we made it to Cavies Castle around midday
Wednesday. The weather closed in again after I left on the midday ferry
Thursday. Now if that is not proof of the power of piggy prayers, I don't
know what is! I'm sure most of the south of England is totally unaware
that the respite in the weather was all due to a little French piggy
needing to get to hospital! I wish there was equally good news to report
on Scoot himself. As you know, I was certain he had a dental problem, and
that once his overgrown molars were trimmed, he would be right as rain.
Sadly, all the rodentologist could find were tiny little overgrowths on
the back of his front teeth (they had a proper name but I can't remember
what that was!), and his molars were perfect. However, he did have an
enlarged liver, which I had not spotted - I would not have the confidence
to squeeze my piggies! There is a very slim possibility that just the
tiny overgrowths were making it hard for Scoot to eat, and that caused
the liver abnormality, and they have put him on strong antibiotics in the
hope they can cure the liver problem, but the prognosis is not as good as
I had hoped. He did actually eat a few veggies on his own whilst I was
there, which was the first time in several days that he had eaten
anything alone, without having it poked in his mouth, so I was hopeful,
but if Penny saw him still being syringe fed then he obviously is not
managing to eat on his own - though I'm encouraged by the fact that he
ate some of Penny's parsley. So there we are, your prayers have worked so
far - now we just need you to pray that little Scoot recovers from his
liver ailment and makes a full recovery. If he does I will obviously
fetch him back here to France - we do miss him, scooting about his cage!
Condolences to all whose piggies have gone to The Bridge whilst I was
away and then yesterday recovering - I have a huge backlog of emails but
will try to catch up eventually. Debbie (and the 7 Dolly Mixtures, plus
Scoot in the UK!)

"We patronize them for their incompleteness,
for their tragic fate of having taken a form so far below ourselves.
And therein we err, and greatly err.
For the animal shall not be measured by man.
In a world older and more complete than ours
they move finished and complete, gifted
with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained,
living by voices we shall never hear.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings;
they are other nations, caught with ourselves
in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners
of the splendour and travail of the earth".
Henry Beston

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses