[Gpdd] MISCELLANEOUS: Off topic, Victorian bushfires

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 12 03:09:27 EST 2009

Hi to all,

Thanks for messages of concern re the Victorian fires.      Those fires continue to burn, but the weather is being kinder to the fire fighters today, with lower temperatures & not as windy.

I have seen an interview with the fire officer who gave it that now famous Koala water, and he explained the reason the koala put his paw into the fireman's hand was because the hand was wet and cool, and his little paws were burnt.   He is doing very well with a wildlife carer - his four feet/paws get the dressing changed daily, and he's off painkillers now.

The huge problem is........ with all the wildlife that has survived, once they are well again - where are they going to be released?  They can't go back to the wild, because there is no wild left!    The repercussions of these fires is absolutely enormous.

I have received an email from a friend which shows another koala and has a wonderful & enriching story behind it.  I can't attach it to this post, but if anyone really wants to see the photos in that beautiful email, (and they are worth it I promise) please contact me and I can send it to you by private email.    That's probably the best way to do it, I guess?

Kind regards
Julie  & her beloved boys