[Gpdd] Health - crusty nose/lips

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Wed Feb 18 08:33:44 EST 2009

Hi Suzy

You took the  words right out of my mouth.   I was going to write to the digest group about this problem myself.

Yes, I can say a definite Yes ........ I have experienced that and am still experiencing that dry crusty bit on the mouth and also at the corners of their mouths.    Believe it or not, it's happened with 4 of my piggies.   Donald's lips are still a little crusty, but quite good at the moment.     My poor Joey though has been having a really terrible time with crusty bits at the side and down the centre near the nose.       I've been using two things to try to heal the problem - both Daktarin Oral Gel (which Vedra from Cambridge Cavy Trust recommended for fungal infection), and then I'm using the good old Vaseline petroleum jelly.  That helps Donald and Wheeky, but Joey's lips are a bit of a problem trying to fix.    I'm wondering whether it might be because I feed them tomato (they love it, and I probably feed them too much).  The strange thing is that Hamish, who is a Rex piggy, has never had these crusty lips and he eats as much tomato (and strawberries) as the other piggies!

Also, another question I would like to add to yours relates to my Joey again.    He seems to have problems with his little penis - he gets a crusty sore on it, and it can't retract.   I use vaseline on that area to try to help, and at one stage the crust fell off and the penis went back in.     But this next bout of crusty penis won't resolve.    He's such a dear little piggy, and I would imagine something like that on his privates would not be at all comfortable.

Maybe some bright, experienced piggy slave might have some ideas on both problems?

Oinks & warm wheeks to all,
Julie and her precious boys (Donald, Wheeky, Joey, Kimba, Snowdrop)
Muppet, Teddy, Dougall, Archie and Brandy forever in my heart and soul - desperately missed