[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] Sad piggie song

Debbie Jones pals4pets at cheerful.com
Wed Feb 18 10:57:25 EST 2009

I found this song half-written in a folder whilst sorting out some stuff.
I remember I started writing it when Joe, George the Guinea Pig's dad,
found little Lilac in the petstore and was too late to save her. But I
decided it was too sad to send to the gpdd, so stashed it away. But I've
decided to give it a happy if unlikely ending, and send it in, maybe to
remind us that we can't change the world, but we can change the world for
one guinea pig. It's to be sung to the tune of that old weepy, "Nobody's
Child", and is dedicated to Lilac, and all petstore piggies.

Nobody’s Pig

As I was slowly leaving the pet food store one day

I wandered for a moment just to watch the piggies play;

Alone a pig was crouching, and when I asked him why,

He said, « I have pneumonia, and I am going to die.

CHORUS: « I’m nobody’s pig, I’m nobody’s pig,

I’m weak and sickly, I’ll never grow big;

No pigslave cuddles, and no yummy treat

No cosy pigloo, no veggies to eat.

« I once lived with my mommy, her cage was kinda small

And as we all grew bigger, it couldn’t hold us all.

My brothers and my sisters were brought in here with me,

They’ve all been sold, but I am ill, so I will never be.

CHORUS

« No pigslave hands to stroke me, or feed me when I wheek,

Sometimes I get so lonely, I wish that I could speak,

I’d tell about the people who breed us pigs for gain,

And how for each well pig that’s sold, another dies in pain. »

CHORUS

I went and found the manager, and said I wouldn’t pay,

But that the pig was dying, and I’d take him away.

He gave me him for nothing, I got him to a vet

And just in time, I saved his life, now he’s a favourite pet!

FINAL CHORUS: He’s somebody’s pig, he’s
somebody’s pig,

Fur sleek and shiny, he’s healthy and big,

He is my master, and I am his slave

Why can’t we all find a piggy to save?

by Debbie, of the Dolly Mixtures

"We patronize them for their incompleteness,
for their tragic fate of having taken a form so far below ourselves.
And therein we err, and greatly err.
For the animal shall not be measured by man.
In a world older and more complete than ours
they move finished and complete, gifted
with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained,
living by voices we shall never hear.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings;
they are other nations, caught with ourselves
in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners
of the splendour and travail of the earth".
Henry Beston

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses