[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE - Munchkin

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Wed Feb 25 15:38:16 EST 2009

Hello, just thought I'd let everyone know that Munchkin, our dwarf rabbit, was put to sleep this evening.  We took him to the vet and unfortunately my suspicions were confirmed, he had quite a nasty form of cancer.  Although he'd been eating reasonably well and seemed quite alert he had a nasty swelling on his back end and his poohs had become quite abnormal over the last few days, very strange shaped, large and mucusy.  The vet said that he would only get worse and eventually would not be able to pass urine and faeces and that the best thing would be to let him go before he got any worse.  Although it was obviously sad, I feel he'd had a good life, he went very peacefully and at least he's not in any discomfort any more.  I really hope now that this run of bad luck is going to end and that things will get back to normal again.  I know Munchkin wasn't a guinea pig but I know many people here have other pets as well and I'm sure they won't mind me talking about him.  After ha!
 ving him around for almost 8.5 years it's going to be strange not seeing him there any more.  In his younger days he had quite an attitude, although not aggressive he'd nip to let you know he'd had enough if you'd handled him for too long.  As he got older he got quieter but still didn't like being picked up very much so we only picked him up when absolutely necessary, he preferred just being petted whilst sitting down.  He seemed to quite like being petted as long as it was on his terms.  I hope we did the right thing, I feel that it was probably the best thing as I wouldn't have wanted him to get worse and perhaps start suffering, they're so good at hiding their illnesses that it can be difficult sometimes to know exactly how they're feeling.  From what the vet said it would only have been a very short time before he became really ill and the fact that symptoms were already showing meant that it really was time to let him go.  At least he's at peace now.