[Gpdd] HEALTH Ovarian cysts

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Feb 27 06:24:44 EST 2009

Michael,

Sorry to read that Blossum has a suspected ovarian cyst.

My Lavender had one of these and has been treated with HCG. My Rodentologist can feel ovarian cysts without the need for Xrays or Ultrasound and can disperse small ones manually. The contents are sterile and are just absorbed into the body. Lavender's was a thick, leathery feeling cyst so she had the HCG treatment.

The shots of HCG are given 4 weeks apart. Most piggies only need two shots but some, including my Lavender, need three. Her cyst has shrunk to almost nothing. It may come back in time but this is a far safer bet than risking major surgery.

Here is some information about HCG. It may be too simplistic for your vet but she does not sound as if she is very good with piggies so here goes.

HCG short for Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin  (English spelling ) is made by Chorulon. My Rodentologists buy it in a pack of 5. The dose consists of two phials, one containing a powder, the other sterile water.

This is how my Rodentologists make it up. The sterile water is drawn up into a syringe, which is then inserted into the phial with the powder. The mixture is then shaken vigorously to mix the ingredients. From this they draw up 0.25ml of the mixture, attach a fresh needle for the piggy and give the injection.

It stings the piggy so expect a lot of complaining but is far safer than the op.

It has a short shelf life and has to be kept in the fridge.

It does come cheap. Each shot was around £8 in English money but is infinitely cheaper than an op.

My Lavender was being very "boarish" with her group but, after each shot, her behaviour improved no end. She had her last shot last month and so far, so good. I wouldn't hesitate to use this treatment again and there is no way that I would opt for surgery.

I hope that this is of some use to you, Blossum and your vet.

Best of luck with your little girl.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.