[Gpdd] Health: Toby's teeth

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 12:52:10 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

First we all want to wish you a happy new year!! May this new year bring
lots of fresh veggies, sick piggies getting better and maybe even more
friends here on the digest.
Whee are looking forward to this year, Guiny should turn to SCAMPS age in a
few months.
Woopy will turn one, and Dunya will already turn three years old.
We hope the boys get to stay, at least they will be here for another months
since they too have to be treated for mites...

We want to thank all the kind people on the Gpdd who mailed our slave about
Toby's teeth and Guiny's fur.
She was pretty sure having his teeth fixed would be unnecessary and you've
just acknowledged that.
Yesterday our slaves checked on Toby's teeth again and his top teeth that
had broken off, are gone...
So he cannot hurt himself anymore by touching something with the loose
teeth.
And we are happy to report the teeth seem to be growing back fast...!

Our vet said we should get back in 10 days or longer to see how the teeth
are doing, but if all goes well
and his teeth are even, we're probably not bothering him by that. I think
Toby will really soon be able to eat again on his own!

I haven't seen much change in Guiny's fur yet, but it probably takes a few
days... the shedding does seem to be a bit less...
but i could be mistaken... I'll keep Cindy's remark in mind, since she did
use to have blakc flakes, but now it seems to be mostly white... But if she
doesn't improve...i might want to try that.

The vet we saw did not seem to know a lot about Guinea pigs. She was adoring
Toby's nice greyish/silver agouti fur, she had never seen it before...she
did not seem to know how quick guinea pig teeth grow back... And when
looking at Guiny she was alerted by the bald spots behind her ears....
I don't know but aren't bald spots behind ears sort of normal for guinea
pigs? Guinea lynx says it is...
Just makes you wonder how much this vet knew about guinea pigs....

We were wondering however wether age and (hair) type influence how big the
bald spots can be?
Guiny who is smoothhaired had pretty big bald spots, Dunya (also
smoothhaired and younger) has them too but smaller and Toby also has them
but even smaller (also smoothhaired and even younger).
Chico and Woopy don't seem to be having that big bald spots, but both are
younger than a year (or maybe just over in chico's case) but this could be
because of their fur being rex and teddy the hair just stands out en seems
to cover most of the bald spots...
How is it with your piggies? do this have big or small bald pots behind
their ears? and does it differ with age or hair type?

Best wishes,
ow, and just want to point you guys at our website, I think I mentioned it
before: www.guinygirlz.nl
(just click on the winkygang banner)
there you can read up on all of professor Igor's PLAY's so far... or see
Suus and Dunya's city trip to the Hague.
We plan to make more, but will wait till weather gets better, it's very cold
here right now...
I know Janneke is still correcting the PLAY's i've translated, so more are
on the way!!

Lots of Wheeks and piggy kisses,
The Winky girls: Guiny, Dunya and Woopy
the Shelter boys: Chico and Toby