[Gpdd] Health, Toby's teeth

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 2 08:06:37 EST 2009

Hi Mieke

Please don't let the vet put Toby under anaesthetic for his teeth.    You will be amazed how quickly they grow back.   Whilst they are growing, you could try syringe feeding him some critical care, and even syringe feeding him some vitamised vegetables.      As Cindy said, you might be able to cut the food into very fine strips, and actually help him by putting the food past his front incisors to the back molars, which is actually where they do all their chewing anyway.

My very first piggy decided to go for a jump and ended up breaking one top incisor off.   The vet told me not to worry, and within 2 weeks (possibly less because my memory is failing a bit after 7 years of the event), he was back eating normally, even with the smallest bit of incisors having grown back through the gums.

Malaseb is called the same downunder in Australia, and if Guiny has a mite or lice problem, I've used Selsun shampoo which Peter Gurney's website recommends.     It's always worked for me, but be careful to not use too much of the shampoo on a piggy, they only need a small dab of shampoo into the middle of your palm.

Kind regards
Julie and her 4 precious boys (Donald, Wheeky, Joey and Kimba)
with Muppet, Teddy, Dougall, Archie & Brandy forever in my heart & soul