[Gpdd] HEALTH: Broken teeth

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 2 22:22:28 EST 2009

Mr. Mike T. Pig broke one of his lower incisors sometime near
Christmas. We noticed him having trouble eating carrots a couple of
days before and took him to his vet on the 26th. It was cracked quite
badly at the gum line. His vet thought the best thing to do would be
to trim it and let it grow back in. He was given injectable sedation
and then isofluorane. I think if there is ever a next time, I will
ask that he not get the injectable because he was groggy for quite a
while, hours even, and it was scary for us.

We saw the tooth and it was chisel shaped on the tip (normal) and
where it had cracked almost off (not normal). I'd worry about him
swallowing it, so clipping it seemed good. Because it was right at
the gum line and the gum line now had an opening, he's on antibiotic
to prevent infection. He had Metacam for five days for pain, and
we've been giving him Benebac a few hours after the antibiotic to try
to keep up the good gut flora.

The tooth is growing back, albeit slowly. The gum is kind of ugly. He
eats a little hay on his own and romaine and parsley, though more of
the greens if he is hand fed. He refuses carrot and pepper, pushing
them out with his tongue. Pffft! He has just decided cucumber bits
are tasty again. He has been on Critical Care since the trimming to
try to keep his weight up. The last day or two, he has been trying to
get out of that, too. Today, he dribbled out some of his antibiotic.
That sneaky pig! I'm glad he's opinionated again, but I wish getting
the meds to stay in was easier.

-ginger
co-slave, with Steve, to Mr. Mike T. Pig