[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Hershey nipped!

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 5 17:27:56 EST 2009

It was bound to happen. Hershey was eager for treats and cuddle time. She explored my hands, which smelled of lamb (should have been a deterrent to an herbivore, I would think), and then gave me enough of a bite to elicit a small yelp (didn't break the skin, fortunately). I gently pushed her away, but she was undeterred. I'm afraid if I'd left my hand in there I might've gotten bitten again. In dealing with a piggie who has had fear issues, I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to approach this from a piggie perspective. What would a piggie do if it were nipped? She has been so gentle up til now, and if she wanted to really hurt me, she would have, so I don't think she was necessarily being aggressive. Suggestions? I don't want this to become a habit, but I don't want to discourage her curiousity and outgoing behavior either.
Nippedly,
Joanie