[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] SCAMPs Soulage and Sable are 6 years old!

Debbie Jones pals4pets at cheerful.com
Thu Jan 8 08:48:40 EST 2009

It was exactly 6 years ago today that I rescued the 27 guinea pigs from
the Crocodile Woman who was selling surplus and freezing piggies to be
fed to crocodiles here in Northwest France. That 27 eventually became 45,
as 5 were pregnant sows, but most were rehomed and those who returned to
me have mostly gone to The Rainbow Bridge. However, I am delighted to
announce that Soulage and Sable, who were both unweaned babies when they
arrived here with their mothers that day, are miraculously still with us,
and seem to be doing fine, although Soulage has lost quite a bit of
weight since her 5th birthday, going down from 1033g to 821g, which is a
big worry for me. Both continue to eat well and exercise, although they
don't live together in the winter as they have never really got on;
Soulage lives with SCAMP Caramel and Sable lives with SCAMPS Ambree and
Gisele. They do, however, all share a big outdoor hutch and run in the
summer. I went out today to hunt for fresh grass for their celebratory
birthday meal, and will be shopping for special veggies, as the frost has
killed everything in the veg plot. I never thought I would be lucky
enough to have these piggies' company for as long as 6 years - I was
dreading the year they turned 5! So a big "thank you" to them both for
resisting the temptations of The Rainbow Meadow for a further year - and
to all of you who have advised me when they have had health problems!!
They are both featured on the SCAMPS website if you want to see how
beautiful they are. I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't got round to
putting  Caramel, Gisele and Ambree on there - I will try to do so before
the month is out! Debbie (and the 8 Dolly Mixtures)
"We patronize them for their incompleteness,
for their tragic fate of having taken a form so far below ourselves.
And therein we err, and greatly err.
For the animal shall not be measured by man.
In a world older and more complete than ours
they move finished and complete, gifted
with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained,
living by voices we shall never hear.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings;
they are other nations, caught with ourselves
in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners
of the splendour and travail of the earth".
Henry Beston

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses