[Gpdd] MISC A Lucky Escape

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jan 10 13:15:55 EST 2009

I have just had a visit from two friends, who volunteer for our local wildlife rescue society, looking after injured hedgehogs and nursing them until they can be released. The Piggyfriends' garden is one of their release sites for hogs that cannot be returned to the area in which they were found.

The wildlife organisation share their premises with a local vet and, when they went in to clean out their unit, the head vet nurse called them in to see "something nice". They peered into the large pile of hay, expecting perhaps to see  a hedgehog in need of their help but there was a little baby piggy. Claire, the nurse, told them that she had been handed in at the vets by the owner of a cat, which had come in through their catflap carrying this precious babe. The cat owners thought that their pet had caught a mouse but on closer inspection realised what was in the cat's mouth and retrieved the little piggy. Not knowing what else to do they had taken the piggy to the vet hoping that they could find her a home. Luckily the piggy was unharmed by this ordeal.

My friend, Monica, used to have piggies of her own some years ago, before she and her husband became full time hog carers and she immediately wanted to take the piggy home. This little one is about 5/6 weeks old and how she came to be caught by a cat is anyone's guess. No-one living near the cat's owners' home has piggies. Whatever was she doing out of doors in this freezing cold weather where a cat could find her?

The little piggy has been set up in the lap of luxury but they wanted a companion for her and came to see if I knew of anyone with piggies in need. I called our Rodentologist, who knows many rescuers and two babes from GBH ( Guineas, Buns and Hammies ), the organisation that was involved with that big RSPCA rescue that I posted about recently, will shortly be on their way to join this lucky piggy.

This piggy, called Piglet pro tem as Monica is an avid Winnie the Pooh fan, very nearly became a Piggyfriend as Claire, the vet nurse, is one of my clients and would probably have phoned me had Monica not arrived at that moment.

Another precious piggy saved.

It is good to post a story with a happy ending.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.