[Gpdd] health; emergency tips

M MFug at live.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 13:27:01 EST 2009

Hi all I thought it would be a good idea if we could share emergency tips for those things that happen either late at night or when you cant get a vet appointment and need to act straight away.

I know when you cut a piggy nail to the quick you can use styptic pencil to stop the bleeding but I am sure there is something else you can use if you dont have a styptic pencil, something you may already have at home does anyone know what I mean??

A few months back now Fugly woke me in the early hours as he was coughing it was obvious to me he had something stuck in his throat, instinctively I turned him onto his back and opened his mouth at which point some carrot came loose and his coughing stopped.
1) Is turning them on their backs the correct thing to do or did I just get lucky?
2) How would/has anyone else treated a coughing/choking piggy?

If anyone else has emergency tips to share I would love to hear them, I am trying to put together a piggy medical folder for myself and all help is much appreciated.